Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Feinstein's Up

Starts with asking who's idea was it to amend the Patriot Act to allow USAs to be hired without Senate confirmation.

AG: I did support the change in the law. I do not like the idea of the judiciary dictating my staff (which is besides the point).

DiFi: Were you the decider or not? Your written comments say "I did not make decisions." Today you said "I accepted the decisions, I accepted the recommendations of the staff." What's going on?

AG: Huh? (DiFi clarifies: There has been constant equivocation.) Says Sampson periodically updated him on the review. I didn't make decisions during the deliberative process (actually says "I don't recall" making decisions). I signed off at the end.

DiFi: So you made the decisions?

AG: I don't recall the decision, I made the decision.

DiFi: And you never looked at the performance reports?

AG: Yes. (!!!) Performance reports are just one factor.

DiFi; Was Mr. Mercer in charge of looking at the performance reports? (She corrects - Mr. Battle) Gives a quote from Mr. Battle - about how he looked at the report and nothing jumped out at him.

AG: Can I see the page?

Leahy jumps in and tells AG that he told him this page would be referenced.

AG: gives a non-answer.

DiFi: Let me speak about Carol Lam. You said "we could have done better than Caorl Lam." Distinguished record of service. Did well in drug, guns, and public corruption cases. ICE, Border Patrol, other groups praised her. Immigration cases were the largest amount of cases out of her office. Now bringing up the Moschella letter and reading it. Nobody talked to Lam about immigration cases. Shouldn't somebody have talked to her about department concerns on immigration cases?

AG: I believe she was acutely aware of our concerns. Congressmen made her aware. I don't recall the Moschella letter. Illegal entry and re-entry are just as important as smuggling (trying to deflect the meat of the letter). She served well for four years, but it was time for a change.

DiFi: Regarding Congressmen, she had a meeting with Issa and Sensenbrenner, and it was constructive.

AG: There's a record of gun and immigration prosecutions.

I think Feinstein did pretty well.

Labels: , , ,

|