Amazon.com Widgets

As featured on p. 218 of "Bloggers on the Bus," under the name "a MyDD blogger."

Monday, November 07, 2005

Call your cell phone

So those of us in CA, NJ, VA, or any of the other states holding elections tomorrow, here's a little something you can do to help GOTV (without volunteering and all that stuff):

Call everyone in your cell phone.

I don't pretend that this is an original idea, I remember hearing about it on another post in 2004. But I put it to use then, and given that all politics is local, I think it's one of the coolest, easiest grassroots things you can do.

There's nothing to it, really: on the day of the election, just go through your entire cell phone and ask all your contacts if they've voted, and urge them to do so. The benefits are manifold:

1) At this stage of the election, people are tired of hearing from strangers asking them to vote. But a familiar voice can actually reach with that message.

2) I know I'm a little apprehensive about calling people cold, especially late in the game, because people are just overwhelmed with phone calls. But calling people you know evokes no similar distress.

3) You potentially get back in touch with some people who you haven't spoken with in a while, which can be even more effective for the core message, as well as a social boon!

I can tell you that virtually everyone I called last year got out and voted.

I plan to volunteer tomorrow in SoCal. But in between I'll be calling my entire cell phone address book. Will you do the same?

|